Chamber Member Royal Dutch Shell won the 15th shallow water oil and gas block put up for auction (Round 2.1) on Monday as part of a consortium with Total.
Block 15 lies off the southern Gulf coast state of Campeche, and includes estimated prospective resources of up to 496 million barrels of oil over an area of 375 square miles (972 sq km).
British Company Cairn also secured interests in two licences in the Mexico offshore bid round. The licences (one operated and one non-operated, covering ~1,100km2) are located in the shallow water Sureste basin in water depths of 100-500 metres and ~50km offshore.
All of the areas offered in Round 2.1 were located off the coasts of the states of Veracruz, Tabasco and Campeche. Together, the 15 blocks covered more than 8,900 sq km (3,436 sq mi), and held a combined 4 Bboe in prospective resources.
Mexico’s Energy Secretary decribed the result of Round 2.1 as “splendid”. He stressed that, just two and a half years after establishing the secondary laws of Mexico’s Energy Reform, there are already 48 contracts for exploration and extraction of hydrocarbons established, as well as a strategic partnership with Pemex: “This speaks very well of the pace of implementation of the energy reform.” He also expected at least an additional 50 contracts to be announced in July with Rounds 2.2 and 2.3.
The complete results of Round 2.1 are as follows:
* Tampico-Misantla Area 1: Not awarded
* Tampico-Misantla Area 2: DEA Deutsche and PEMEX
* Tampico-Misantla Area 3: Not awarded
* Tampico-Misantla Area 4: Not awarded
* Veracruz Area 5: Not awarded
* Southeastern Basins Area 6: Petronas and Ecopetrol
* Southeastern Basins Area 7: Eni, Cairn Energy and Citla Energy
* Southeastern Basins Area 8: PEMEX and Ecopetrol
* Southeastern Basins Area 9: Cairn Energy and Citla Energy
* Southeastern Basins Area 10: Eni
* Southeastern Basins Area 11: Repsol and Sierra Oil & Gas
* Southeastern Basins Area 12: Lukoil
* Southeastern Basins Area 13: Not awarded
* Southeastern Basins Area 14: Eni and Citla Energy
* Southeastern Basins Area 15: Total and Shell
For information on previous deep water round results, please click here